Dental Implants for Missing Teeth: A Life-Changing Solution
Unfortunately, tooth loss continues to be a major problem in dentistry, even in 2023. Many adults lose their natural teeth due to various factors, even when teeth should be able to last a lifetime. Still, if you have lost one or more teeth, do not write off your smile. Instead, find hope in life-changing solutions at Finch East Dental Care for replacing lost teeth. Dental implants are among the most praised treatment protocols for missing teeth.
What Are Dental Implants?
They are small screw-like metal posts that replace missing teeth. Dental implants in Scarborough, ON, feature titanium, a unique metal that works wonders for missing teeth replacements. It offers a permanent solution to tooth loss by replacing the roots before restoring the tooth’s exterior.
How Do Dental Implants Replace Teeth?
To get tooth implants, your dentist will incorporate the following steps:
- Numbing and sedation – local anesthesia numbs your mouth so you can have a pain-free experience. Sedation dentistry is a treatment dentists employ to calm and relax your nerves, making the treatment a lot less traumatic.
- Gum incision – the dentist makes a small incision on your gums to expose the jawbone underneath.
- Drilling – the next step entails drilling the jawbone to create space for the dental implant.
- Implantation – entails erecting the titanium metal post in the drilled hole. The dentist may then place an abutment before suturing the gums to hold the implant in position. After this step, your dentist will place a temporary crown over the implant, then allow you to go home for healing. The healing period takes between 3 and 4 months before you are ready for the next step of the procedure.
- Crowning the implant – dentists typically use dental crowns to complete the implantation procedure. The tooth crown will match the aesthetic of the remaining natural teeth for an aesthetically pleasing result. However, in some cases, the dentist may recommend dental bridges or dentures. They are ideal for multiple tooth replacements.
What Makes Dental Implants Popular Despite the Invasive Procedure?
When you consider the invasiveness of the implant surgery, you will easily question why patients would be willing to undergo the treatment. Fairly so, it can be painful to undergo the surgery, not to mention endure a long recovery period. Still, tooth implants are popular for the following reasons:
- High success rates – implantation surgeries stake high success rates, usually 98%. It translates to a few cases of failed implants after surgery.
- They replace teeth permanently – you won’t have to worry about scheduling another appointment in the future to replace your missing tooth. Better yet, you needn’t worry about your artificial tooth falling off to cause an embarrassing scene.
- Titanium is biocompatible – even though dental implants are metallic, patients hardly suffer allergic reactions. If anything, the titanium material integrates perfectly with natural bone tissue.
- Better jaw and gum health – for one, a dental implant prevents the bone tissue from disintegrating due to inactivity. Instead, it promotes a healthy jawbone by triggering bone regeneration after surgery. Further, your gum health may improve after dental implants, so you do not suffer from gum recession around the adjacent teeth.
- Improved aesthetics – replacing a missing tooth betters your aesthetics. Besides, dental crowns over tooth implants look a lot like natural teeth. However, dental implants do more for your beauty by boosting your facial framework for a youthful and fuller look.
- Unmatched sturdiness – compared to other tooth replacement solutions in dentistry, dental implants are the sturdiest. While no oral appliance matches or rivals the strength of natural teeth, dental implants come pretty close.
- Durability – dental implants last a long time. You may never need to replace your teeth for the rest of your life if you care for your dental implants well.
Should You Get Dental Implants?
If you have lost one or more teeth, there is no reason for you to spend another day without your teeth. Instead, consult a Scarborough dentist about getting dental implants. Ideally, there are a few restrictions that can disqualify you from the treatment, including the following:
- Weak and unhealthy jawbone
- Underlying oral infections
- Open wounds or sores at the location of the lost tooth